How can a MSK GP Advanced Practice Physiotherapist (APP) service improve axial SpA diagnosis?
What was the project?
The MSK GP Advanced Practice Physiotherapist (APP) Service was introduced in 2019 as part of the 2018 General Medical Services Contract (GMS), and Scottish Government Transforming Roles Programme (Scot Gov, 2017, Scot Gov, 2021).
- There is limited published research or evaluation of Advanced Practice Physiotherapist Services in Scottish Primary Care.
- There is a paucity of published data on AxSpA Epidemiology in Scottish Primary Care, as well as the care journeys of individuals, including time to diagnosis.
- Lack of empirical knowledge of these variables limits understanding of the healthcare system, representing a barrier to service evaluation and development.
- Empirically evaluate and audit service performance, informing future service improvement activity.
- To fill current empirical knowledge gaps.
- Understand the system.
Service evaluation and audit questions
- What is the incidence and baseline time to diagnosis of Axial Spondyloarthropathy (AxSpA) in the service population?
- What proportion of APP Rheumatology referrals fulfil the NICE 2017 Guidelines and Spondylarthritis Diagnosis Evaluation (SPADE) Tool criteria (NICE 2017, Habibi, S., Doshi, S., & Sengupta, 2016)?
- What is the APP Rheumatology referral conversion rate for AxSpA diagnosis and further assessment/investigation?