Professor Sengupta is a Consultant Rheumatologist and the Clinical Lead for Axial Spondylarthritis service at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, Royal United Hospitals Bath. Raj received a Gold award for his leadership on the Act on Axial SpA campaign. He has been involved since the origin of the programme and sits on the project board.
- He devised the concept for the PRIMIS pop up tool to help GPs recognise the symptoms of axial SpA.
- He developed the SPADE tool, used understand the probability of axial SpA, which has had 10,000 hits per year worldwide and is seen as an key tool for health care professionals.
- He has been involved with the manuscripts being written about the impact of the Act on Axial SpA campaign.
- He was involved with setting up collaborations with osteopaths and chiropractors nationally to improve the pathway to diagnosis and spoken at the Institute of Osteopathy national conference.
- He is NASS’s go to when media opportunities arise, speaking on national and local television and radio channels. He has delivered several presentations on axial SpA to patients across the world and filmed public awareness videos for Axial Spondyloarhtritis International Federation (ASIF).
- He regularly promotes the NASS symptoms checker, ensuring that the slide is in every digital talk he gives.