Sian is an Advanced Practice Physiotherapist (APP) for rheumatology, while Professor Tahir is a Consultant Rheumatologist and Physician who both lead the axial SpA service at the Royal Free London NHS Trust. They both received a gold award for their work in improving diagnostic delay, through public awareness campaigns, data, education and pathway development.
- They have delivered a patient focussed public awareness campaign using the act on axial SpA messages, including events in local shopping centres.
- They have delivered a set of educational events for health care professionals across primary care and rheumatology on the delay to diagnosis and their local back pain pathway.
- They have led the way with data collection on the NASS time to diagnosis audit with 109 patients recruited, supplemented by having 228 patients with axial SpA enrolled on NEIAA.
- They have developed and implemented a local primary care referral pathway, and also a referral process for direct referrals from key secondary care specialties.
- They have undertaken research around delayed diagnosis and the unmet need for patients with Uveitis, which has been published and widely promoted.